Saturday, October 2, 2010

There Are No Cute Construction Hats

    Before you get to training, you need a drug test.  Normally this would not faze me, because I don't drink or smoke anything, but I had taken hydrocodone, well, half of a 500 mg one, because I had pain in my face (that's a whole blog on it's own!) and I was afraid this would show up on the drug test.  I told everyone, and their brother, that I had taken it and in the end it never showed up.  Better safe than sorry!  The nurses at the testing facility were very nice, but I got a foreshadowing of how this job would be when the nurse said, "They sent a girl?!?"  Welcome to my new world.
    For training we needed to show up in Steel toe boots so our supervisor could see that we, indeed, did have steel  toe boots.  Do you know how hard it is to find steel toe boots in women's sizes?  I went to a few places locally with no luck, then had to turn to the internet.  One place had PINK ones - ooh! (for $100.00), and tan ones (for $50.00).  As much as I loved the PINK ones, I am sporting the tan boots.  We have to be realistic here.  My feet were not happy going from sandals to steel toe boots, tan or pink.  Another reality check.
    There were five of us at our training, and Ed was our trainer.  We were offered coffee (yay!) and given papers to fill out.  We got to watch endless movies about safety and other very exciting things.  
    Then we got our "stuff".  By this time one of our trainees had left us, and we were down to four.  Our "stuff" was four blue tee shirts (long and short sleeved), a beautiful fluorescent yellow vest, and our yellow hard hat which matched our vest.  I looked at my hat, and I looked at the hats the guys had.  This is a hard hat.  There is nothing pretty about a hard hat, and all of a sudden I felt very "Private Benjamin".  I raised my hand and said, "Ed, um, Ed......I don't think I got the cute girl hat that I ordered."  We all laughed, and things seemed much more relaxed.

1 comment:

  1. There are pink girlie hard hats!!! It might also be fun to bedazzle a hard hat - unique to your own inner self!

    ReplyDelete