Saturday, October 9, 2010

Crew B

     As much as Crew A ignored me, Crew B wanted to talk to me.  I can't remember being so popular!  Joseph was laughing at me.  We got our assigned spots - I was near the town, between a park with a gazebo and a restaurant, while Joseph was in a more remote spot. Little did I know how few cars I was going to see! Both Joseph and I had to close the street because the crew was making it impossible for traffic to get through.
   One of my girlfriends (Margaret) lives nearby and I quickly called her and told her I was in her neighborhood.  She had to walk over to Curves and she'd stop by on her way.  I was talking to one of the women in the area (Sue) when Margaret came by.  She knew Sue (it's a small world, well, at least a small town), and we had a nice chat!  This was a cute little place! 
    I met the son of the woman (Lucie) who owned the restaurant, and he was a cute kid about 24 or so.  A while later his mom came out and said, "Alex says you're a teacher"...this got conversation going and she later sent Alex out to give me a soda.  Alex, the soda boy, bring me Pepsi, bring me joy.....Every time either one would come out of the restaurant to go to their home, a few doors down, they would talk with me.  Nice, friendly people!
    There was also Suzanne, who was one busy chick!  I met her when she was coming back from a run, and she asked how I knew all the moms in the neighborhood.  I told her that I only previously knew Margaret, and the others I had just met today.  We laughed about how I am so "social"!  She had to get ready to go out to work.  The day went quickly (Yes, there were cars to re-route) and before I knew it, she was home and I spent a few minutes talking to her when she got back from work and was waiting for her cute boyfriend to pick her up for a weekend of biking and hiking!
    The way people were coming and going it felt like a play, where maybe I was the narrator, getting the pertinent information from the cast of characters that would be important later on in the play!  LOL  This is possibly the nicest neighborhood ever!
    During the time I was meeting the people in the neighborhood and redirection traffic, guys from the crew would come by on their way to get coffee or food from a mini-mart.  They would ask if I was married, or if I had kids, and how old my kids are.  Little by little they were getting all the information on me that they were interested in.  Or they would come up with a bottle of water, making sure I wasn't fainting!  Word travels fast! 
     At the end of the day we were waiting for our crew chief, and Joseph had gone home because he had had little sleep the night before.  A few guys were hanging around and one of the guys asked if I drank, and I said no.  And he said, "Everybody has to eat, and I'd like to take you out to dinner."  I laughed and asked him if he was married (yes) and if he had kids (yes) then I said, "What is wrong with this picture?"  He gave me his phone number and told me I could think about it (PS, guys, a diamond is "think about things").  Jokingly I said,"Did you write this out after you gave me water at lunchtime and we talked?" and he said, "No, I wrote it out after I met you this morning."  As funny (and wrong) as this is to me, it's still flattering.
    

2 comments:

  1. Very flattering! And THAT,my dear, is why you were put into this Flagging position! Oh, that and socializing with the locals!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO Girl!! Well, not with the married ones but this is only evidence of great unmarried things to come!!

    ReplyDelete