Saturday, October 2, 2010

Is it ever right to wear jeans to an interview?

     What do you wear to an interview at a construction company?  I had no idea.  I have no experience with this world....I know that somewhere in my brain the idea of "heels and hose" felt wrong, but what else do you wear to interview?  I really didn't know what to think about this.  
    I called Barbara, who, being an environmental scientist would know about these things.  She said, "Wear, jeans, work boots, a tee shirt and a long-sleeved shirt".  On an interview?  Jeans and a tee?  I couldn't get past this!  Jeans and a tee.  So she helped me out with the work boots, and the rest was in my closet.  It just felt so wrong to interview dressed like this!  But I showed up Wednesday for the interview, in jeans and a tee, and I couldn't believe I was really doing this!  
    I had to keep from laughing at myself ---- talk about being out of your comfort zone!!!  I loved the woman who interviewed me, and essentially walked out of there with a job.  
    I have to say that after years of people saying, "No" when I would ask for a job, it was a great feeling to have someone say, "Yes." I would get a call Friday.  Jeans and a tee were perfect.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment