Saturday, October 2, 2010

Just Me and the Universe

    So, another school year has begun and, again, I don't have a teaching job in a local school district.  And that's what I want.  I'm a teacher.  I have a masters degree with dual certification in elementary education and special education.  I've been applying for positions for years, and there's nothing happening for me.  I thought I had another year of substituting in store, but when I heard through the grapevine which teachers were picked up for this year I was sad and angry.
    So I essentially gave up on the world of education.  I went to www.hudsonvalleyhelpwanted.com (long name, amazing results) and I made a deal with myself:  I would apply to any and all jobs that struck my fancy.  And I did.  I applied for dental and medical office positions  (I was a dental assistant ...back in the day).  There were catering positions (I was a waitress, again, back in the day).  There was a flagger position for a local construction company (I can flip a sign from "stop" to "slow").  There were a number of customer service positions (I had done that in the past).  There were retail positions (I like shopping), secret shopper positions (getting PAID to shop!)...I applied for them all.  Then I made a deal with the Universe:  I would say, "yes" to the first job that came my way.  Hey, you never know who you might meet, or where things may take you....I had nothing to lose.
   Four days later the Universe answered.  Before I knew it I had an interview with someone from the local construction company.  This is too funny.  I'm kind of a girly-girl...I like getting my nails done; I like my hair to look pretty; I like to wear sandals and toe rings; I like all kinds of jewelry;  I like wearing make-up; I don't like getting dirty.  Bring on the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment